jeudi 25 mars 2010

Sunday 14th March: opening ceremony and Global Village party



After registering at the International Convention Center of Taipei, where the conference takes place until Thursday, me and the ebs team attend a presentation from the Harvard Team concerning the rules of procedure of the Modelisation of United Nations. These rules define how to take part in debates as it would happen in a real United Nations meeting, how to propose caucuses and working papers. These are rules of diplomacy. For example, when starting a speech, we have to start with a traditional courtesy phrase such as "Dear honorable chair, dear honorable guest". Then, you always have to speak in the name of your country. For example: "The Republic of South Africa would like to mention...". All that sounds very official. Once this presentation is done, it’s time to have lunch and we choose to go to the mall at the base of the 101 tower. We are so surprised to see so many people at the restaurant. In Taiwan, when eating at a restaurant, we understand that the strategy is not to buy first and find a table next, but to find first a table, lol.

Just before the opening ceremony, I meet a girl who is holding a taiwanese flag. There is quite a story behind that flag. It is the flag of the ROC, which means it was the official flag of the whole China from 1911 to 1949. As we talk about it, at the end, she gives me the flag, haha.

I did not expect that the MUN was so important, talking about the people present at the ceremony.
Apart from the 2000 students coming the best Universities from all over the world, the President of the Republic of China and the mayor of Taipei are one of us. There is even a confusion when the speaker announces the president of the R.O.C, as many don’t know that Taiwan is officially known as the Republic of China, and China the Popular Republic of China. The President Ma Ying-Jeou feels very concerned that the MUN is hosted in Taiwan for 2 reasons: First, he is a former Harvard student, and Harvard is organizing the MUN. Second, Taiwan is not officialy recognized as a country by the real United Nations, but the Popular Republic of China. Thus, the MUN is a way for Taiwan to prove that they deserve a recognition.

The main thing I remember from the Presidential speech was
-“Please, go shopping in Taipei, buy as much as you can (everybody laugh), at least do it for the economy of Taipei”.

Whereas I have been enjoying moving my flag during all the ceremony, the speaker announces at the end that all the participant who have a taiwanese flag should come in front for a picture for business week. So I should probably find myself in the next weeks on a picture with 15 taiwanese people holding the local flag. I am so lucky now, haha.









After, the picture has been taken, me, my team and the taiwanese team go to eat in a local restaurant. I always spend a very good time meeting foreigners, and these Taiwannese are really cool people. One of the things I remember from the dinner is when one of them says:
-“Look!, the journalists are talking about France at the TV”
“What do they say”
“That Sarkozy is having an affair!”
Well, it is always a pleasure to have news from our president.





We leave the hotel; it’s now time for the traditional “Global village”. On the road back to the restaurant, a taiwannese girl comes with us. I realize that she speaks a perfect German. Since I arrived in Taipei, I spent my time switching from German to English. She explains to me later that she has lived seven years in Berlin. Moreover, she is the chair assistant of my committe, the council of Human rights.
This party hosts a lot of stands representing each country. Each stand proposes free typical products of his country. Good time!!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire